What are the types of temperament (child)? Features of each type of temperament: positive, negative. There are 4 types of temperament (child). Such as sanguine, choleric, phlegmatic, melancholic. Advice on parenting such children. We all know that in relations with adults it is necessary to take into account the nature of the person, but when raising children, most parents absolutely forget about the individual approach.
According to traditional medicine, any person (and child too) can be attributed to one of four types of temperament – choleric, melancholic, phlegmatic or sanguine. To correctly determine the temperament of the child, it is necessary to observe him carefully for several weeks, noting the main features of the behavior. After that, determining the type of temperament, you can build a close relationship with him.
4 types of children’s temperament
Consider the choleric types of temperament of the child and get acquainted with practical recommendations for proper education, taking into account the temperament.
In life, temperament in “pure form” is rare. Usually there is a mixture of features of different types of temperaments. However, the most striking features will still be ” ruling” in the behavior of your baby. It is on them and pay attention.
Choleric temperament (strong, unbalanced, movable)
Positive: high activity, energy, quickly aware of the situation, sociability, determination, persuasive speech.
Negative: lack of restraint, hot temper, aggressiveness, unstable behavior, harshness in relationships, conflict, cyclical work, feelings, moods.
This temperament is one of the brightest temperaments of the child, which brings constant care to parents. “Rest only in our dreams” – they can say about their baby-choleric. Also some features of such temperament are inherent in all children.
Baby with this type of nervous system – restless, naughty. He is noisy, unrestrained, fussy, naughty, quick-tempered, pugnacious. This is a restless prankster and a bully, constantly arranging scandals and quarrels. The choleric language is abrupt, fast, with the swallowing of individual words, but very expressive and emotional.
The movements of such a kid are swift, sharp, energetic. Conditioned reflexes in choleric individuals are formed quickly, but are not unstable.He acquires new information quickly, but after a few minutes she flies out of his head. Such children are inattentive, they lack prudence and ability to rely their capabilities.
Choleric is a commander by nature, he easily adapts to an unusual situation, but through his hot-tempered nature he constantly conflicts with his peers, although he cannot live without them. Such a child is prone to playing to the public, he constantly needs the audience, from which he is waiting for a response. Therefore, a choleric child will never cry and be capricious in solitude.
Choleric can not wait and can not curb their desires. He likes active romps and new experiences, willingly taking risks. The mood is unstable, changing, it would seem, from minor reasons. Choleric people fall asleep hard, impressed by the events of the day. If parents try to punish the child for the child’s inability to control himself, he develops aggressiveness, readiness for resistance, for self-defense.
How to educate a choleric child:
1. The main approach in raising a choleric child is the principle that can be called “Not a minute of rest”: support and direct the child’s energy to useful things.
2. Excluded situations that excite the nervous system of the child.
3. To control the violent manifestations of choleric, help calm games, the choice of an interesting hobby.
4. Pay special attention to the education of perseverance.
5. Strictly and consistently monitor the actions and actions of the child.
6. Carefully teach your child to finish the job started.
7. Due to the heightened sensitivity, choleric should be handled gently, because harshness can disrupt the relationship between the child and the parents.
8. Do not use physical force when affecting a child; make remarks strictly but calmly.
9. Choleric do not persuade, he responds better to a calm, tactful demand.
10. Foster perseverance and restraint, the ability to control themselves, it is necessary to extinguish any aggressiveness of the child in the bud.
11. Pay special attention to the training of courtesy and tact.
12. It is important for your baby to know that you are listening to his words.
A child with a temperament phlegmatic
Consider the phlegmatic type of child temperament.
Phlegmatic temperament (strong, balanced, inert type of nervous system)
Positive: always calm, patient, it is almost impossible to ruffle, characterized by high performance, perseverance, capable of great workloads, balanced in relationships.
Negative: doing everything slowly, inactive, takes time to concentrate, slowly makes decisions, stubborn.
A child with this type of nervous activity is always calm. Next to this, not hurrying “baby” anywhere, it seems that time has stopped. A slow but strong reaction is characteristic of such a kid. In the environment of children, he is calm.
The phlegmatic person does everything in detail, overcoming all obstacles. He does not change his decisions, and if they need to be defended, he will show maximum obstinacy. He is very loyal to his family and friends, although it is difficult for him to find a true friend.
A phlegmatic child very is peaceful, avoiding a struggle whenever possible, preferring not to take risks. His speech is unhurried, expressive, but without numerous gestures and vivid facial expressions. Such a baby falls asleep quickly, but it is not easy to wake him up: he is naughty, aching, and after sleep wakes sleepy, sluggish, as if he was not sleepy.
So the phlegmatic kid is very slow, he needs a lot of time to learn new information. But once the knowledge gained is firmly fixed in his memory. Phlegmatic is possible to teach and almost impossible to retrain!
How to educate a child phlegmatic:
1. The basic approach in raising a child phlegmatic is a principle that can be conventionally called (do not rush). Remember that such a kid cannot work in the conditions of time deficiency, he needs an individual pace, he cannot be customized, he will calculate his time and do the work. Do not demand from your baby space speeds.
2. Teach your child to rationally allocate time.
3. Do not put pressure on your child, because under pressure from adults, he only becomes even more clumsy and passive.
4. Do not call the child “slow”, especially with other people.
5. Remember that phlegmatic children need approval very much.
6. When educating a sedentary phlegmatic, it is important to develop an interest in movements, play games with him where speed of movement, accuracy, dexterity is necessary, and encourage him when he follows any rules of the game.
7. In slow phlegmatic persons it is necessary to try to gradually develop the ability to quickly switch from one type of activity to another. Learn to switch attention when doing various assignments.
8. Try to develop the curiosity of the baby (read interesting cognitive books with him, watch science films, visit museums, discuss the information received).
9. Encourage your baby to take initiative.
10. Teach your child to express his emotions and feelings more fully: if he is sad, do not forbid him to cry, if he is happy, let him rejoice in full measure, etc.
11. Involve the child in joint activities (both in the children’s and adult collective).
Sanguine temperament (strong, balanced, agile)
Positive: high mobility, high adaptability (easily adapts to new conditions), enthusiasm, sociability, cheerfulness, optimism, goodwill, but not vulnerable, expressive facial expressions and pantomimics.
Negative: inconsistency, insecurity (always promises, but does not always keep its promises), volatility, levity, lack of ability to concentrate, lack of diligence, insufficient perseverance.
Sanguine is a friendly, sociable, cheerful kid. At the same time, he is quite appeasable and reasonable. Open and talkative, he loves new faces and new places.
A sanguine child can easily compromise. Not afraid of difficulties. Easy going through failure. He seamlessly joins any team and adapts to the unusual situation.
Sanguine curiosity is limitless. He always seeks to learn as much as possible and easily acquires new information. He quickly switches from one to another, is able to do several things at once.
A kid with a sanguine temperament is active, mobile, impulsive, loves noisy games. If the merry fellow is bored, then he becomes sluggish and cannot concentrate on what is happening here and now.
Sanguine responds calmly to punishment. He is absolutely non-conflict, so it is difficult to quarrel with him. “Life without quarrels” is his life motto. But the other side, which adults should not forget, is this: the sanguine person is comfortable only if everyone likes him.
How to educate a child sanguine:
1. The basic approach in raising a child sanguine is the principle, which can be called “trust but verify”. Cute baby sanguine always promises, but not always fulfills the promise, so you need to check, he fulfilled his promise.
2. To control actions child.
3. When raising a child with a sanguine temperament, one should form stable attachments and interests in him.
4. To teach to finish the started business.
A child with a temperament Melancholic
Melancholic temperament (it is based on a weak type of nervous activity)
Positive: high sensitivity, cordiality, ability to sympathize, subtle receptivity, in a familiar environment – the executive employee, gentleness, goodwill.
Negative: vulnerable and shy, unsure of himself, thoughtfulness, isolation, reduced activity, low performance (in adverse conditions).
Melancholic is a soft and obedient baby. Melancholics shy children, timid, and indecision – one of the main properties of their nature. Indecision is manifested in all movements, gestures and pronunciation of a melancholic baby.
He is distressed every little thing, and this emotional instability is not a whim. He reacts sensitively even to the human voice: try to raise voice and such a baby will cry at once. Tears of melancholic are inexhaustible, because they are afraid of everything, especially strangers and a new environment.
Melancholic children often withdraw into themselves, they get very bad unaccustomed to a new team, tend to be in the “shadow”. Often they are “fixated” on failures, they react very painfully to negative assessments, and they perceive punishment as a real tragedy.
Vulnerabilities melancholic no end and no edge. Melancholy children are very suspicious, often worried over trifles. Great importance attached to the little things.
In new, especially conflict, situations it is lost, it works well below its capabilities.
Knowledge of melancholic is hard, for the lack of attention activity the baby is constantly distracted by foreign objects and cannot concentrate on the main thing.
Any activity for melancholic is a job from which he instantly gets tired. Such a kid, even playing, gets tired. These children often change their mood, they have little initiative, it is not easy to come into contact with their peers. Their movements are uncertain, poor and often fussy. The speech is quiet, but the intonation is expressive.
How to educate a child-melancholic:
1. The main approach in the upbringing of a melancholic child is the principle, which can be conventionally called “do no harm”.
2. In dealing with such a child and in educational action take into account the vulnerability of his psyche – do not raise your voice and do not press on him.
3. Remember that a melancholic child needs special attention, warm relations, help. Be gentle with him.
4. More often praise him and do not stint on the manifestation of sincere words. Your child has a special intuition, and it is vital for him to feel that he is loved.
5. Encourage him, even for minor successes and achievements.
6. Do not miss the chance to show your vulnerable child that you really appreciate the slightest manifestation of his care.
7. Never make remarks for child on people (in public) – this provokes the development of serious complexes.
8. When communicating with your child, use tactile contact more often: touch it, stroke it on the head, etc.
9. Do not forget about fast fatigue of the child, and the resulting weakness of the nervous processes – do not overload him with developmental tasks, in the process of doing homework, take a pause. Remember that even games tire him and can lead to stress.
10. Stressful for a melancholic child is any competition situation, try to avoid them.
11. Do not demand from the melancholic that which is impracticable for him. Aim at his feasible classes and help them perform on time, avoiding overwork.
12. Avoid orders to communicate with the child, because they only slow down his activity.
13. Develop self-reliance. At each manifestation of independence, encourage your baby, cheer with a warm word.
14. Be patient in the development of activity, courage.
15. Stimulate the kid to take initiative.
16. Develop the sociability of your baby.
17. Do not frighten. The melancholic child is contraindicated scary stories, disturbing films and programs.
18. Help get rid of fear, for this, discuss with the child his feelings.
19. In a familiar environment, in a friendly team, he successfully performs the assigned task, or will be learning.
Remember that you need not to tame the temperament of your baby, and learn how to manage it.